Responding to Elder Abuse and Neglect

On this page we set out a number of resources and links for responding to elder abuse and neglect.   The first concern in any situation is the senior’s safety, and 911 should be called if there is any safety issues.  The following are the headings for the resources available on this page:

  1. Help Lines
  2. Police & RCMP
  3. Agencies Helping Vulnerable Older Adults
  4. Educational Materials
  5. Crime Stoppers
  6. Resources for Victims of Violence


Help Lines


1-800-563-0808  TTY: 604-875-0885

A province-wide telephone help-line for victims of family and sexual violence, and all other types of crimes. Service is multi-lingual and 24 hours a day.  





Toll-Free: 1-877-952-3181

For seniors, their families or others who have experienced issues accessing health care services or with the care they received.


Toll-Free: 1-800-465-4911

Website: Seniors Info Line




604-875-6381  [Vancouver area 24/7]


911 Calls

As we said above, the safety of the older adult is of paramount importance in any abuse and neglect situation, and 911 should be called if safety is an issue.

Examples of emergencies for 911 calls:

  • an event that involves an immediate threat to person or property (e.g. screams or shots fired)
  • a substantive in-progress crime (e.g. fight, break and enter or impaired driving; this includes drug dealing if the suspect is on scene)
  • a serious crime that has just occurred (e.g. sexual assault or robbery)
  • a suspicious circumstance that may indicate an immediate criminal act (e.g. prowler, door-to-door salesperson who doesn’t have proper identification, vehicle “casing” the neighbourhood)

If you are unsure how serious an incident is, police advise to call 911 and they will advise whether or not to call the non-emergency number (e.g. – (604) 717-3321 for Vancouver) (see below for other locations).

Non-Emergency? (for Vancouver Police call (604) 717-3321)

Many reports to police do not require a police officer to attend in person. If there is no suspect or there is no potential evidence for officers to collect, calls can usually be handled over the telephone.

Examples of non-emergencies:

  • thefts under $5,000
  • crimes with no suspect – e.g. – stolen or lost licence plates and validation tags, stolen vehicles, lost property
  • reporting a non-emergency crime with suspect, but suspect is not on the scene (e.g. fraud)
  • reporting a serious crime with suspect, but with a lengthy delay (e.g. assault that occurred last night at a bar)
  • non-emergency incidents in-progress (e.g. noisy party, barking dog)
  • ongoing crime issues, not in-progress (e.g. graffiti problems, or ongoing drug dealing with the suspect not on the scene)
  • a suspicious circumstance that may indicate an on-going criminal activity (e.g. marijuana grow operation)

Other links to Vancouver Police Department:

–       Request Copy of Police Report

–       VPD Security Tips for Seniors

–       Online Citizen Reporting

–       Neighbourhood Crime Alerts

–       Start a Block-Watch

–       Missing Persons Cases

Other Lower Mainland Police Agencies

New Westminster Police Service and Family Services Elder Abuse Team

  • Tel: 604-525-5411 x2445 (Andrea)


Lower Mainland Detachments:

 Rest of BC:

RCMP “E” Division is the BC division of the RCMP.  It is the largest police body operating in the province, providing federal, provincial, and municipal policing services.

RCMP “E” Division
14200 Green Timbers Way,
Surrey, B.C. V3T 6P3
Phone: 778-290-3100

Welcome to ‘E’ Division:

–       Find RCMP Detachment for your location

–       Detachments Contact Info

–       Integrated First Nations Unit

–       RCMP Victim Services

–       Search for Stolen Vehicles and Bikes

Agencies Assisting Older Adults in Need

BC Community Response Networksimage024

A CRN is a diverse network of concerned local community members, businesses and agencies (including local Health Authorities) who come together to create a coordinated community response to provide help for adults experiencing or at risk of experiencing abuse, neglect and self-neglect. BC CRN is the provincial organizing body providing funding, materials, training, support people and maintaining a website.

Web:    Fax: 604-531-9498    Email:

Find a local CRN here: CRN by Community

Public Guardian & Trustee – Adult Servicesimage023

PGT provides a range of services to adults who may need help managing their affairs, as well as to their families, legal representatives, the courts and the general public.  A person who cannot manage their financial and personal care matters is vulnerable in our society. Sometimes, adults cannot seek the help they need because of an illness, disease, injury or other condition that affects their ability to make decisions. If you are concerned about an older adult in these circumstances, you can contact the PGT.

Phone: 604-660-4444

–       PGT – Assessment and Intervention Referral Form – e-version

–       Protecting Adults From Abuse, Neglect and Self Neglect (pdf) [also available in Chinese (simplified and traditional), Punjabi, Spanish and Vietnamese]

Designated Agencies (DA’s)/Health Authorities

If you have concerns that an older adult is abused, neglected or self-neglected and, appears to be mentally incapable or physically unable to get help on their own, you can report the situation to the Designated Agency or Community Living BC (for adults with a developmental disability). Under the Adult Guardianship Act, these agencies have a mandate to look into reports of abuse, neglect and self-neglect of adults who can’t get help on their own.  Each Health Authority is the Designated Agency for their area of the province.  The Health Authority areas and contacts, and the contact for Community Living BC are listed below.


Fraser Health Authorityimage028

[ Burnaby to Hope inclusive]

Phone: 1-877-732-2808 Email:

–        DA Contact

Interior Health Authorityimage030

[Thompson Cariboo Shuswap, Okanagan, East Kootenay and Kootenay Boundary, including Williams Lake and south to Hope]

–       DA Contact

 Northern Health Authorityimage031

[Quesnel and all areas north, east and west]

Prince George Adult Protection Line: 250-565-7414

Website: Northern Health

 Vancouver Coastal Health Authorityimage033

[Vancouver, the North Shore, Richmond and Coast Garibaldi]

Re:Act #:1-877-732-2899

–       DA Contact

–       VCH Re:Act Adult Abuse &Neglect Response Resource

For more direct community numbers visit

Vancouver Island Health Authorityimage034

[Vancouver Island and the Gulf Islands]

DA Contacts: South Island – 1.888.533.2273;  Central Island – 1.877.734.4101; North Island -1.866.928.4988

Community Living BCimage037

[Designated Agency for all individuals with a developmental disability who are eligible for CLBC Services]

Toll-Free: 1-877-660-2522


Educational Materials

Here we provide links to various educational materials and pamphlets produced by various levels of government and agencies regarding elder abuse and neglect.

Elder Abuse & Neglect – BC Gov’timage040

Elder Abuse and Awareness – Gov’t of Can

· What is Abuse of Older Adults? (PDF)image042

· Types of Abuse and Neglect (PDF)

· Abuse of Older Adults: Signs and Effects (PDF)

·  Why Does Abuse Happen in Later Life? (PDF)

· Help is Available (PDF)

A Practical Guide to Elder Abuse and Neglect Law in Canada – Canadian Centre for Elder Lawimage076-1

Dial-a-Law – Elder Law, Elder Abuse & Seniors’ Rights





As part of the Live Safe — End Abuse series about relationship abuse (family violence), this fact sheet explains:

  • what happens when an abuser faces criminal charges,
  • what it means to be a witness in court,
  • what happens at a trial, and
  • possible sentences.

It also lists resources for more information about being a witness.

What Every Older Adult Should Know About…

[comprehensive set of pamphlets developed by the Ministers of Provinces and Territories].  Here are five relevant to elder abuse issues:

 1.Financial Planning

3. Managing and Protecting Their Assets

4.Planning for Possible Loss of Independence

7. Financial Abuse

8. Frauds and Scams

Crime Stoppersimage001

Help solve a crime and remain anonymous. Crime Stoppers

Contact Crime Stoppers anywhere in BC by:

  • calling 1-800-222-TIPS(8477)
  • Submit a tip online [see below]
  • sending a text to 274637

Links for Online Tips:

Bulkley Valley Crime Stoppers [includes Lakes District & Stikine]

Campbell River Crime Stoppers

Central Okanagan Crime Stoppers (Kelowna and surrounding communities)

Comox Valley

Cowichan Valley

East Kootenay Crime Stoppers

Greater Victoria Crime Stoppers

Kamloops & District Crime Stoppers

Metro Vancouver Crime Stoppers (Vancouver and surrounding communities)

Nanaimo & District Crime Stoppers

North Okanagan-Shuswap Crime Stoppers

Northeast BC Crime Stoppers

Prince George Crime Stoppers

South Okanagan-Similkameen Crime Stoppers (Penticton and surrounding communities)

Upper Fraser Valley Crime Stoppers (Chilliwack and surrounding communities)

For communities not listed: Web Tips

Resources for Victims of Violence

VictimLINK  BC

Telephone: 1-800-563-0808  TTY:      604-875-0885   Text:     604-836-6381

To call TTY/TDD collect, call the Telus Relay Service (TRS) at 711.

VictimLINK provides interpretation services for all major languages in BC.

 Victim Services

Telephone: 604-660-5199   Fax: 604-660-5340


For a list of all victim services in BC, go to: Victim Services Directory


Victim Safety Unit

Telephone: 604-660-0316   1-877-315-8822 (toll-free)  Fax: 604-660-0335


To register for victim notification, go to: Victim Services – victim-safety

Crime Victim Assistance Programimage081-1

Telephone: 604-660-3888  1-866-660-3888 (toll-free)  Email:

To access CVAP Counselling Guidelines and Application Forms, go to: CVAP Publications

Protection Order Registryimage083-1

Victims can call VictimLINK at 1-800-563-0808 to verify the status of their order.

Protection Order Registry

 BC Prosecution Services (Criminal Justice Branch)

250-387-3840  Fax:250-387-0090

Regional Phone Numbers:

  • Fraser-1 800 455-8813
  • Interior -1 888 249-9333
  • Northern -1 800 292-6833
  • Vancouver Island-Powell River -1 888 339-1188
  • Vancouver -1 800 661-2279


Web:Prosecution Service

 This website provides access to the Crown Counsel Policy Manual: Crown Policy Manual

Victims and Witnesses of Crime and Violence

Transition Houses, Safe Homes  and 2nd Stage Housing

Victim Notification

Parole Board of Canadaimage041-1

1-888-999-8828 (toll-free in BC)

Pacific Regional Office – 604-870-2468

Parole Board – Victims Services

Victim Information Line: 

1-866-789-INFO (4636) (toll-free in BC)

This Victim Information Line does not replace existing regional toll-free numbers, which allow victims who have already registered easy access to NPB regional offices for ongoing contact. The new information number provides new victims with a single number for initially contacting NPB.

–       Parole Board – Victim Request for Info

–       Victim’s Guide to Parole Board


Correctional Service of Canada


This website provides information about notification of status of offenders sentenced to custody terms of two years or more.

Driving Safety Resources for Seniors


This website provides a list of guides and other resources regarding driving in inclement weather, car insurance, vehicle purchase and other driving-related issues that seniors may face.

© 2012 BC Centre for Elder & Advocacy Support | Web by Maker of Nets | Powered by Wordpress